MEDICAL ASSISTANT PROGRAM
The Medical Assistant program provides students with the skills and experiences to gain confidence, a rewarding career, and endless possibilities as a Medical Assistant. Students will learn the basic function and duties within an administrative and clinical setting in preparation for the Medical Assistant certification examination through National Center for Competency Testing. The program consists of 21 – 28 weeks depending on your schedule. This includes a total of 276 hours in theory and a 5-week clinical internship (120 – 160 hours). After completing the Medical Assistant program, along with 120-160 hours of work-related experience. The student will be eligible to take the Medical Assistant certification exam through the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) at no additional cost. All course materials will be provided in order to support and prepare students for not only success, but endless possibilities.
MEDICAL ASSISTANT PATHWAY
Medical Assistant: Clinical & Administrative
This course trains students to assist a physician and work in a laboratory or medical office. Students learn the following content and skills:
- Medical and surgical asepsis
- Assisting with the physical examination of the patient and minor surgical procedures
- Administration of medication by physician order
- Laboratory skills for blood withdrawal, urinalysis, and specimen collection
- Assisting with diagnostic procedures
- Vital signs
- Introduction to basic anatomy and physiology as well as diseases commonly related to the medical office experience
- Medical terminology
- Medical office administrative skills
- Successful completion of Medical Terminology: Anatomy & Physiology
- Recommended basic computer knowledge including Google and Microsoft
- Student must have a valid AHA/BLS CPR Card prior to start date
- NCCT Medical Assistant Certification requires a high school diploma or GED
* For those who do not have a high school diploma or GED, a Medical Assistant certification examination is available through the California Certified Board for Medical Assistant (CCBMA), for approximately $145.
Course Outcomes & Certifications:
Students who successfully complete this course, including 120-160 hours of clinical externship are eligible to take the Medical Assistant certification exam through the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) at no additional cost.